Monday, August 7, 2017

Dracula's America - Getting terrain ready

A couple of friends jumped on board the recent Nickstarter by North Star for the upcoming Osprey Gothic Western ruleset Dracula's America.



If you want more information about the game, there are two main sources:

Dracula's America lead-adventure thread
Dracula's America Facebook players group

This game ticks many of the boxes that I find interesting in skirmish games - supernatural horror minisin alternative history but rooted in the real world.This game has gotten me really excited and I can't wait to play it.

While waiting for the game to release and North Star to ship the rules and minis - two of us got the whole lot package - I set myself the target of getting a suitable table ready. I looked numerous times on the wonderful Sarissa Precision Ghost Town buildings and was very tempted. In the end I decided - as I usual do, and with the blessing of my wallet - to go for the scratchbuilding option.

For many years we have played Deadlands in our rpg group, and so I had six buildings of various sizes that I thought I could enhance and change a bit. A couple of buildings that I normal use for Empire of the Dead would also be useful.

I did however want a large corner building to act as a hotel, a better marshal's office and a blacksmith. So for something to model my buildings on I looked at Sarissa's website. And from the pictures I started building with foam board, card board etc.

Once they were done, I lined everything up on the board. I find that this is the best way to find out whether the amount of terrain is correct and how everything goes together.

I am in the process of finishing the painting job on the last building and a lot of smaller scatter terrain pieces.

Once done I will of course provide an update on the blog.

Here are some photos I took of the table I set up.






3 comments: