Friday, June 23, 2017

Death in the Dark Continent: Force Publique

During the last month I have been busy painting up a Force Publique army for Death in the Dark Continent. The minis are all from the famous Darkest Africa range from Foundry, and they are indeed lovely models to paint. Being older sculpts there is a fair amount of flash to clean up beforehand though.

I am very happy about the final painting job, even though it is not to the standard of Paul Baker's Force Publique, which is top top quality.

The army is a based on the one found in the rulebook. 5 units of Soldiers, two of them Volunteers and 3 Consripts, a chief base and of course baggage. My baggage is smaller though and consists of a group of bearers with both ivory and crates.

I have previously had major reservations about playing an army that was so infamous and cruel. But have come to the conclusion that while the game is historical, it is still just a game, and someone has to play the bad guys. Researching the Force Publique and King Leopold II is not for the faint hearted though.

Anyway here are some pictures I took yesterday evening. Not the best quality though.






4 comments:

  1. I have figures from the same range and they are indeed lovely. My Force Publique will be the bad guys along with the Zanzibar slavers in my Darkest Africa campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb job on some cracking minis! I have some of these figs languishing in my own lead pile...really must dig them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous looking unit, great work Sir.

    ReplyDelete